An Otomi table runner is a beautiful decoration piece used on tables and beds. With roots in the Central Plateau region of Mexico, Otomi art incorporates elements of the ancient drawings found in the local caves. When you pair these ancient cave drawings with freehand Otomi art stitched into stunning embroidery, and they add a piece of Hidalgo, Mexico, to your home.
The Otomi (or Otontin) people were invaded and became part of the Aztec empire in the 13th century and became part of an elite Aztec military order. After that, they became widely known for their fierce fighting skills. The Otomi people lived in many empires throughout the centuries, but their land was eventually returned to the Otomi people in the 1940s. However, when the land was returned, it was not the same prosperous land that was stolen. Now, thanks to runoff from Mexico City, the land has started to repair itself. The Otomi people live off the land by farming and tending to their livestock.
Recommended Otomi Table Runners
Otomi table runners are beautiful centerpieces that help support today’s Otomi people. If you purchase a genuine Otomi table runner, the sale proceeds go directly to the people of Hidalgo, Mexico.
Our list of recommended products below is a mix of genuine Otomi table runners as well as excellent quality Otomi-inspired table runners.
This table runner is a genuine Otomi. Made by the locals in Hidalgo, Mexico, it is perfect for people who want to pay a bit extra for a genuine product. So not only will you receive a beautiful table runner, but you also know that you are supporting the Hidalgo people.
- Use it as a runner on a table or even a bed!
- Made from Cotton and Rayon
- Handmade by Otomi artisans that live in Hidalgo, Mexico
- Features unique animal designs called “Tenangos”
- Every table runner is unique (this does mean the designs and colors may differ slightly from the photos)
- A great size of 72” x 16” (approximately 6 feet)
- The most expensive item on this list
- This table runner should be hand washed to keep it in optimal condition
An excellent option for people looking for the Otomi-style table runners but are on a lower budget. Of course, we would all love the genuine article from the Mexican people, but sometimes it is out of our price range. The NRAMOOS table runner is a great option as a budget-friendly centerpiece in those situations.
- This table runner is easy to clean thanks to its machine washable material
- Good size of 13.7” x 75” (approximately 6 feet)
- Beautiful decoration for the table or the bed
- Cheaper than the genuine Otomi Handmade Table Runner listed above
- Made from polyester
- This table runner is a Mexican-style table runner, but it is not a genuine product from the Hidalgo people of Mexico.
- Some customer reviews indicate that the material is relatively thin
This Mexican flower table runner is not a genuine Otomi design, but it does fit the theme. Its bright colors and intricate designs will add a beautiful centerpiece regardless of its origin. This table runner will look fantastic on your kitchen table or as a feature on your bed, and it comes with an affordable price tag.
- The black base color makes it easy to hide stains
- Good size of 13” x 72” (Approximately 6ft)
- This table runner is easy to wash thanks to its machine-washable materials
- Vibrant colors to brighten up your home
- Lower price tag than a genuine Otomi table runner
- Made from polyester
- Not a genuine product from the Hidalgo people of Mexico
- Not an Otomi pattern
This yellow table runner is an excellent option for people looking for a colorful background. With a yellow backdrop and beautiful hand-crafted patterns, this table runner is an eye-catching centerpiece perfect for any home. However, it is not a genuine Otomi.
- Bright, eye-catching design
- Hand embroidered
- Made with environmentally friendly cotton
- Cheaper than genuine Otomi table runners
- Smallest table runner on this list with a size of 13” x 62” (approximately 5.2 feet)
- This table runner is not machine washable. It must be hand-washed.
- Not a genuine Otomi. Features flowers instead of traditional animals
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Otomi Table Runner?
Otomi refers to a traditional embroidery technique originating in the Central Mexican Plateau. Legends say that the animals shown in the table runners are from the ancient drawings found in the Central Mexican Plateau caves.
Why should I use a table runner?
Table runners provide extra protection to your furniture. They protect from heat, spills, and moisture, all while adding an elegant and sophisticated appearance to your table setting. Some people will pair them with a matching tablecloth or use them to add decoration to a specific theme.
Do I need to use placemats with a table runner?
No rule specifies whether you do or do not need to use placemats with a table runner, though some people do still prefer to add a placemat for extra protection. However, many people find that just a tablecloth or table runner is adequate.
Otomi table runners add a pop of color and cultural heritage to your home. While the genuine Otomi table runners have a higher price bracket, they also give the buyer a sense of satisfaction knowing that they have supported the ancient craft of the Otomi people. Indeed, nothing compares to the unique hand-drawn table runners that come straight from the heart of Mexico.
If a genuine Otomi is not in your price range, you can discover Otomi-inspired table runners on the lower end of the table runner price range. Furthermore, they come in dozens of colors and feature hundreds of beautiful patterns. So whether you are looking to brighten up your kitchen or add depth and a sense of coziness to your bedroom, you will surely find one you love.