Though they still seem like a new invention, air fryers have been on the market for several years now. Because they have been around for so long, they now come in all shapes, sizes, and models. In fact, there are so many that it can sometimes seem as difficult as buying a new car. You need to choose size, color, capacity, as well as any optional extras like a rotisserie. We are here to help guide you through the purchase of choosing your perfect air fryer.
The optional extras that come with air fryers include several great cooking aids that will make your next meal a breeze. If you love dehydrating food for meal prep or a delicious snack, you can buy air fryers with the ability to dehydrate. If roast chicken is your favorite meal, some air fryers come with a rotating spit! There are so many possibilities for your air fryer we are sure you will find one that you love.
What Should You Consider Before Buying an Air Fryer?
Size: Air fryers come in several different sizes that suit different needs. Generally, a smaller air fryer is great if you are cooking for one or two people. If you are looking to cook for the whole family, a larger air fryer is recommended.
Price: Because air fryers come in so many different shapes and sizes, their prices also vary a lot. You can pick up a small air fryer for as little as $40 but the higher-end units can cost up to $300.
Function: What do you want your air fryer to do? Some air fryers come as a toaster oven cross air fryer. Others include a pressure cooker. Other common functions include dehydration and rotisseries. Make sure you know exactly what you want from your machine before buying.
Accessories: There are many accessories available for air fryers. These range from basket covers that keep your air fryer clean to handle grips that allow easy removal of food. The list of available accessories is continuously growing.
Recommended Air Fryers
We have created a list containing some of the best air fryers on Amazon! This list includes both the pros and cons of each unit to make it easier for you to decided with air fryer to purchase. Our list includes small basic air fryers, as well as larger units with special functions for the advanced air fryer chef.
The Instant Vortex is a large air fryer that comes with 4 great functions. Whether you are looking to air fry your fries or roast a chicken, this air fryer is perfect for a medium-size family.
- 5.7-quart capacity. It is big enough that it fits a whole pound of chicken!
- 4-IN-1 Functions: Air Fry, Roast, Re-heat, Broil
- Touchscreen display shows each stage of cooking
- Very fast pre-heating time
- Dishwasher safe fry baskets and stray
- Temperature range 95-100° F
- Access to Instant Pop app with free air fryer recipes
- Large size makes it harder to store (12.01 x 15.31 x 12.72 inches)
- Heavy 12.47lbs makes it less ideal to move around frequently. It is best set on a counter for continuous use
- Some customer reviews indicate that the product emits a bad smell
The Breville oven fryer is perfect for the at-home chef looking to make a lot of different meals. It comes with 11 pre-set functions that include air frying, slow cooking, and pizza! This air fryer is a smart purchase if you are looking for a single appliance for cooking instead of multiple single purpose machines.
- 11 Pre-set functions: Air Fry, Slow Cook, Broil, Roast, Cookies, Bake, Toast, Pizza, Bagel, Warm, Re-heat.
- High-level precision cooking
- Comes with non-stick pizza tray, broiling rack, wire rack, roasting pan, air fry baskets, and crumb tray.
- Has several additional accessories available
- Internal oven light to easily see your cooking
- 2-year warranty included
- Very Large 20 x 15 x 11 inches
- Needs to be pre-heated to work correctly
- Not designed to be moved around a lot. It is best left on the counter for daily use.
- Most expensive item on this list
This air fryer is perfect for a solo chef. Its very small capacity of 2-quarts makes it the ideal size to cook just one meal at a time. The units small capacity also means it takes up very little space on the counter or in the cupboard. Its retro look also makes it perfect for a fashion-forward feel.
- Small size for convenient storage 10.2 x 8.1 x 11.4 inches
- Comes in multiple colors to suit any kitchen
- Prevents over-cooking with auto-shutoff
- Comes with an air fryer recipe guide
- Analogue temperature knob for a retro feel
- Very small and not suitable when cooking for more than one person
- Very retro feel. Not great for people looking for sleek technology
Both sides of the air fryer can be controlled individually meaning you can cook separate items at different temperatures at the same time!
- 8-quart capacity makes this air fryer the largest on this list
- Offers dual draws that allow you to cook more than one thing at a time
- 6 in 1 machine that can air fry, air broil, roast, bake, reheat, and dehydrate
- Baskets are easy to clean
- Crisper plate is dishwasher safe
- Very heavy weighing 17.89lbs. This air fryer is not one you will want to move very often.
- Large external size of 15.63 x 13.86 x 12.4 inches
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Air Fryer
An air fryer is like a small convection oven that is designed to sit on your countertop. It circulates heat with a fan that circulates hot air around the food you are cooking. This means that it creates a crispy texture without using as much oil as you would in a pan or deep fryer.
How much does an air fryer cost?
Air fryers have a very large price range. You can get a small air fryer for as little as $40. However, the top-end air fryers with large capacities and extra features can cost upwards of $300.
What is the Best Size Air Fryer to Buy?
This depends on the person buying the air fryer. Someone cooking for one will likely only want a small air fryer that is easy to store and move. A large family of 6 is likely to need a large air fryer that cooks more food at once, though larger air fryers are not as easy to move around or store.
The best air fryer to purchase will largely depend on what you are going to be using the unit for, and how many people you will be feeding. If you are a family of 6 and love to alternate between fries and roast chicken, a more advanced unit with a large capacity would be ideal. If you are an individual and looking to make one meal each night, a small, portable and easily stored air fryer would be the perfect addition to your kitchen.